McHugh Management Consulting provides leadership coaching, organizational consulting, and customized leadership training / development services. Catherine McHugh, PhD, supports leaders as they work to resolve complex organizational issues, develop their people and teams, and become more purposeful and capable managerial leaders themselves. With her extensive hands-on business leadership experience and psychological expertise, Catherine partners with clients to design and implement relevant, practical, engaging, and customized strategies that achieve desired results, develop leadership capacities, and transform organizations.
Thriving businesses & organizations embrace purposeful transformational change. Drawing on extensive hands-on leadership experience, Catherine helps executives address complex organizational challenges, design meaningful systems change, and effectively navigate the transition process with their work teams.read more…
Successful organizations and teams are managed by capable, emotionally competent leaders. Passionate about creating thriving work environments, Catherine coaches managerial leaders and executives who are committed to fully develop their leadership capacities and lead their organizations into greatness.read more…
Great organizations develop their people. Catherine designs and facilitates customized learning experiences that expand individual knowledge and build organizational capacity. Going beyond typical “classroom training” modalities, Catherine’s transformative learning approach engages the “whole” person and achieves long-lasting results.read more…
Productive meetings result from intentional planning and effective facilitation. Catherine collaborates with clients to design and lead participative meetings that achieve specific outcomes and make a difference. Catherine’s facilitation encourages authentic conversation, sparking unexpected insight and ensuring team alignment.read more…
TEDx Talk: Shame Resilience
This talk was given at a local TEDxSnoIsleLibraries event and produced independently of the TED Conferences. In it, I discuss how cultural and personal shame is a powerful and resilient force which must be embraced before it can be vanquished.
What's New at McHugh Management Consulting
- This year, Catherine has facilitated a total of 5 half-day and full-day workshops for the Arizona State Library entitled, “Applying Your Emotional Intelligence: Responding to Challenging People and Situations.” Groups of ~30 participants each, mostly Public Library employees, resoundingly describe the experience as enlightening, relevant, and engaging.
- Catherine designed and facilitated a comprehensive, customized leadership development process for a long-term manufacturing client. The cohort-based, year-long "Leadership Academy" has graduated its 3rd cohort. In order to continue the learning process, participants meet in monthly "Round Table" discussion sessions, where they support one another; reflect on their successes and challenges; and deepen their understanding of essential leadership skills and capacities. A number of participants have been promoted into leadership roles within the organization as it continues to grow.
- The Pierce County Library System won honorable mention in the 2017 ULC (Urban Libraries Council) Innovation Awards in the category of Organizational Change and Strategic Management. Catherine designed the PCLS Leadership Academy and facilitated the 9-month process for a cohort of 12 that led to this award. Plans for a 2nd cohort are unfolding.
- Catherine’s signature "Coaching Lab" graduated its 7th cohort in a Public Library System that is committed to developing a "coaching culture." The 5-month series is offered to all supervisory managers, regardless of their experience, to ensure effective performance management as well as continue developing talent throughout the organization’s leadership pipeline.
- Catherine continues to teach 4-week, online Infopeople courses focused on 2 pillars of Emotional Intelligence: self-awareness and self-management. Participants—who include members of the public, academic, school, and special library community from across the country—consistently describe the process as engaging and transformative. Catherine has also developed and taught a 4-week, “Part 2,” focused on Social Awareness and Relationship Management for graduates of the “Part 1” course.
- Catherine continues to facilitate Board of Trustee retreats focused on increasing effectiveness, enhancing Trustee engagement, and establishing strategic direction.